Easy Lasagna Soup
This recipe incorporates all of the best elements of traditional lasagna - the rich base is filled with meat and pieces of pasta and cheese make a comforting and easy soup created with simple ingredients.
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pound hot italian sausage, casings removed
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3½ cups homemade marinara, or 1 (28-ounce jar store-bought marinara)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 8 to 10 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
For the topping:
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- ¼ cup basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
For the soup:
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the oil and heat through. Add the sausage and beef and brown, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Add the onion and cook until it is soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about an additional 30 seconds.
Stir in the tomato paste followed by the marinara, chicken stock, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce reduces slightly, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
Add the lasagna pieces and cook in the broth until al dente, about 8 minutes.