Italian Sub Sandwich
Whether you call it a hero, a sub, a grinder or a sandwich, this one is layered with amazing cured Italian meats and provolone cheese.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 16-inch loaf Italian bread or hoagie roll with sesame seeds, halved lengthwise
- 6 slices smoked boar’s head ham
- 12 slices Capicola
- 10 slices thinly sliced Genoa Salami
- 8 slices mortadella
- 8 slices Prosciutto
- 5 slices deli-sliced provolone cheese halved lengthwise
- 1 medium beefsteak tomato thinly sliced
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1½ cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Spread the mayo on the bottom half of the loaf of bread.
Layer slices of ham, capicola, salami, mortadella, and prosciutto. Top with slices of the provolone cheese. Top with slices of tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add the onions and lettuce over the top.
In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar and oregano until emulsified. Drizzle over the sub.
Close the sandwich and cut into 4 equal sections. Serve immediately.