Baked Lemon Pepper Wings
Since the wings are baked they are easy to make for a crowd, large batches at a time. They are tossed in lemon butter which negates any need for additional dipping sauces.
For the wings:
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 3 pounds chicken wings, drumettes and wingettes separated, wing tips discarded
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, divided
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino Romano
For the wings:
In a small bowl stir together the kosher, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder and cayenne.
Add the wings, oil and lemon juice to a large mixing bowl, tossing with your hands to coat evenly. Add the spices, tossing to coat once again.
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to overnight.
Heat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Place a wire rack inside a baking sheet. Arrange the wings in an even single layer and bake until cooked through, about 35 minutes.
Heat the oven to broil high and broil until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes on each side.
Melt the butter in a small bowl and stir in half the lemon zest, lemon juice and pepper. Add the wings to a large bowl and toss with the sauce.
Arrange on a large platter and sprinkle with the cheese and lemon zest. Serve immediately.
Calories: 621kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g | Monounsaturated Fat: 22g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 174mg | Sodium: 748mg | Potassium: 332mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin A: 687IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg